WhatsApp regularly brings new and useful features to its Android and iPhone chat apps. One of the recently added feature on Android is the ability to add fingerprint lock to WhatsApp Messenger. This means that you cannot use WhatsApp chat without unlocking the app through the fingerprint saved on the phone. Of course, you need a smartphone with fingerprint sensor to work and the latest version of WhatsApp. The fingerprint lock feature on WhatsApp for Android works with phones that have a capacitive fingerprint sensor, and have an in-display fingerprint sensor inside. In this article, we will describe how to add fingerprint lock in WhatsApp on Android.
Now, the feature has been available on WhatsApp for iPhone since February this year, and it first appeared in a beta build for Android users of WhatsApp in August.
How to set fingerprint lock on whatsapp for android?
Before proceeding further, make sure that you have installed WhatsApp version 2.19.221 or above by visiting the WhatsApp page on Google Play. Once that’s done, just follow these steps to secure your WhatsApp chat on Android with fingerprint authentication.
WhatsApp fingerprint lock settings can be found in Settings under Account> Privacy
1. Open WhatsApp> tap on the Vertical Three Dots icon at the top-right and go to Settings.
2. Go to Account> Privacy> Fingerprint Lock.
3. On the next screen, turn on unlock with fingerprint.
4. Additionally, you can also set the period after which you will have to use your fingerprint to unlock WhatsApp. It can be set immediately, after one minute or after 30 minutes.
5. In addition, you can also choose whether you want the information content and the sender to appear in notifications.
Now whenever you open WhatsApp, you have to apply your fingerprint to unlock the app, based on the automatic lock period you set. And this is how you can set WhatsApp fingerprint lock on your Android smartphone.
Like Android, WhatsApp also offers a biometric lock on the iPhone. While iPhone models that support Face ID can use facial recognition to secure that chat messages, iPhone models with Touch ID can use fingerprint lock. Biometric authentication can be enabled by going to WhatsApp Settings> Account> Privacy> Screen Lock.